at Absolute Health and Wellness
A concussion describes mild brain trauma as a result of a biomechanical force being transmitted to the head, neck or brain. Most concussions will resolve within about a week on their own. Post-concussion syndrome is the set of symptoms that may persist beyond that initial period.
Diagnosis of concussion is complicated. If you suspect a concussion, go to your doctor. In Ontario, only physicians, nurse practitioners and neuropsychologists can communicate the diagnosis of concussion. It’s always important to play it safe. If you have symptoms, seek treatment.
Symptoms can vary from person to person.
Treatment of concussion focuses on managing inflammation and oxidation within the brain and relieving associated changes. A team approach, like you’ll get at Absolute Health and Wellness, will ensure you get properly assessed and treated.
The Naturopath's Approach to Concussion
ASSESSMENT: Your naturopath will carefully assess your health history and current state of health. Head injuries and concussions are complex, and your unique case will be considered. We will discuss the following:
- History: how did your concussion occur? Has this happened before? Did you go to the doctor already?
- Current State of Health: Based on your symptoms, treatment will differ.
TREATMENT: our naturopath uses several options to treat concussion.
- Education: it’s important you know and understand what concussion is, and how we can effectively treat it
- Diet: the foods we eat impact brain health, and some directly affect inflammation and oxidation, both of which are factors that drive symptoms
- Herbs: research shows certain herbs can be helpful for the brain, inflammation and blood flow during the recovery phase of a concussion.
- Acupuncture and Dry Needling: acupuncture has been proven to be effective in some of the symptoms of concussion including sleep, stress management, pain, and muscular related issues from the original impact
- Vitamins/Minerals: various nutrients have been studied and proven to be effective in treating concussion
- Prevention: concussion is usually from some unexpected impact, but there are a few dietary and lifestyle factors known to affect concussion severity
Click here to learn more about Naturopathy.
The Phyiotherapist's Approach to Concussion
ASSESSMENT: Our physiotherapists will assess you to determine contributing factors to your concussion symptoms
- Patient History: to determine any causative factors and the extent of your symptoms
- Observation: for any changes in posture
- Balance, Vestibular, and Vision: to determine if your concussion is affecting other aspects of function
- Range of Motion: particularly of the neck, as this can contribute to symptoms such as headaches or dizziness
- Strength: looking for any areas of weakness
- Soft Tissues and Palpation: to test the integrity of the ligaments, muscles, and cartilage and surrounding areas to help determine what structures may be contributing to your symptoms
TREATMENT: Our physiotherapists use a variety of treatment techniques to help you manage your joint pain:
- Manual Therapy: joint mobilizations, soft tissue release, and stretching to help improve range of motion, headache severity, and dizziness
- Acupuncture and Dry Needling: has been proven to help concussion symptoms
- Therapeutic Modalities: hot/cold therapy and electrostimulation can help with pain
- Exercise: current clinical practice guidelines recommend exercise as an integral role in concussion recovery, starting in the early stages of recovery
- Education: we will discuss topics such as sleep, symptom management, relative rest, and graduated return to work or play
Click here to learn more about Physiotherapy.
The Chiropractor's Approach to Concussion
ASSESSMENT: Our chiropractors use thorough subjective and physical assessments to determine the best course of action:
- Head to toe assessment: to determine if your neck or other areas of your body are contributing to your symptoms
- Health History: learning about your past and current health helps us better understand your symptoms
- Movement: observing how you move tells us a lot your posture and joint health
- Functional Testing: looking at range of motion and functional movements to see if they are affected by your concussion
TREATMENT: Our chiropractors use a variety of treatment techniques to help you manage your joint pain:
- Manual Therapy: joint manipulations and mobilizations, soft tissue release, and stretching to help improve range of motion and minimize symptoms
- Therapeutic Modalities: hot/cold therapy and electrostimulation may help with pain management
- Exercise: an appropriate and graduated exercise program will assist in your recovery
Click here to learn more about Chiropractic.
The Massage Therapist's Approach to Concussion
ASSESSMENT: concussion often comes with associated symptoms, some of which may be benefited by massage therapy. Our massage therapists will assess you by doing the following:
- Patient History: to determine any causative factors, and focus on symptom management
TREATMENT: Our massage therapists may use a variety of treatment techniques to help you manage any side effects secondary to your concussion
- Manual Therapy: typically, earlier intervention helps prevent symptoms becoming chronic in the post-concussion stage.
All treatments are patient-specific and based on assessment and patient tolerance.
Click here to learn more about Massage Therapy