Registered Social Worker
Joan Chambers is a registered social worker with OCSWSSW who graduated with Honours from the University of Western Ontario – King's University College. Joan has been working in the social work field for the past 20 years in various roles.
Over the past 13 years, Joan has been working with families with a strong emphasis on adult mental health in Alberta. During her time in Alberta, she was a member of the team that assisted displaced families of the Alberta Floods in 2013. During that time, Joan added new knowledge to her portfolio: Skilled for Psychological Recovery, and certified as HeartMath facilitator transforming stress.
Joan continues to make learning a part of her practice. Over the years, Joan has acquired:
- Child & Youth Care certification
- Trained in Dialectical Behaviour Techniques (DBT)
- Studied Tradition of Caring Model
- Neurosequential Model of Trauma (NMT)
- ASSIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills)
- Carries certification in Nonviolent Crisis Intervention
- Level A CPR certified through St John Ambulance Emergency First Aid.
Joan's passion for helping others comes from being a trauma survivor herself. She comes with a deep understanding of people and their needs, which led Joan to choose a career in this field. Joan is compassionate and caring for others through her flexibility and effective listening. Having strong communication skills in writing and speaking, she is eager and willing to learn both through her studies and her clients. Joan's approach is strength-based and takes on tasks with respect, professionalism, and competence.
- Family work
- Dialectical Behavioural Technique (DBT)